Saturday 21 September 2013

Porcelain cats and cold water

The Nordlys, shivering in Tromsø harbour-waters
I've signed up to the World Open Water Swimming Association (WOWSA) for info on events (and tips on leg cramps?), and could only find chill-swims on the menu, all of them several hours' drive from Oxford with a maximum distance of c50 metres - less than a minute in the water - unless you have certified cold-water experience. Am eyeing those Tromsø waters with intent...

Meanwhile, I finally forced my son to look at the photos on my last posting - his response to my invitation to read my blog when I first started having been a cooly ambiguous: "I assure you, I shall waste no time in doing so!"

This time his response was: "You remind me of one of those old ladies who collect porcelain cats, an utterly useless and eccentric activity." And there I was thinking I had found a cheap an cheerful way of staying afloat!

8 comments:

  1. 'Utterly useless'? Alas, I see I was mistaken in thinking that making the world a happier place held value...
    I'd vote for porcelain cats any day :)
    Love,
    Rainy Friday Euston

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it was the glaze-like quality of the under-water shots, the swimming-pool tiles lending them a cloisonné look, which triggered the 'porcelain' association; and if the turbulence of such a safe stretch of water was responsible for the feral-feline association?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even know porcelain cats was a thing... I thought it was all about the porcelain dogs!

      Delete
  3. Now surely he would LOVE these??
    http://www.goviers.co.uk/shop/catalog.php?item=3467&catid=Royal%20Baby%20Royal%20Crown%20Derby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like they should be part of a chess set!
      I think these may be more to his taste:
      http://www.etsy.com/listing/158030022/vintage-cat-figurines-pink-porcelain

      Delete
    2. The Royal Cats are definitely on my birthday list!

      Delete
  4. "no comment, but he does just as serious as a young man his age nowadays might feel, no?" alas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear Biljana_ i admire your breathing! its so good to have you in my life!_
    i once taught butterfly to children during august period in AC: the coach told us how to teach it without being ourselves able to swim it...

    ReplyDelete